Monday, January 28, 2013

Young innovators, rare birds & lucky chimpanzees

People often ask me, why do I like working as a freelance writer? Last week provides a pretty good answer. I got to write about endangered species, environmental issues, animal rights, and people doing amazing things. As a freelance writer I get to both embrace my passions and go with the flow, telling a variety of stories that come my way that might not otherwise be told. I can't think of a better way to make a living.

This past week produced a bounty of new stories by me -- several of which have been in the works for a while now, while others were inspired by this week's news and events. I'll start the list, as I usually do, with my two Extinction Countdown articles for Scientific American:

Critically Endangered Mexican Gray Wolf Released into Arizona Wild

Almost Extinct Brazilian Bird Observed in Nest for the First Time [Video]

In addition to my own articles, O'Reilly Media (the folks behind all of those technology textbooks and conferences) did a nice write-up about my Extinction Countdown work.


Next up, three stories about young innovators. Mother Nature Network just launched a new feature called "The Leader Board," about young people making their mark on the world. Many of the young leaders to be profiled here will be eco-oriented, but this first batch are all about technology and medicine:

Are these 3 students computing's next big thing?

Pancreatic caner's foe: Teen Andraka

How D'Aloisio is revolutionizing mobile news


And finally this week, a bounty of timely news items for Mother Nature Network, including two articles about chimpanzees:

Portland radon levels reveal potential health risks

Animal sanctuary to be built in memory of Sandy Hook shooting victim

CareerBuilder: No chimpanzee commercials during this year's Super Bowl

Use of chimpanzees in medical research would be restricted under proposed federal rules

Stephen Hawking to receive a voice upgrade, thanks to Intel

Scientists discover DNA with a quadruple helix in cancer cells


As if all of that weren't enough, I'm working on several features that will appear in February, March, April and probably beyond. It's a writer's life and I love it!

No comments: