Monday, February 11, 2013

Pygmy elephants, extinct moths, software careers and fracking

Hey there, my Monday morning readers! Did you survive the blizzard named Nemo? I'm putting this in the queue on Saturday morning, just in case I don't make it through the storm. Hey, with this country's infrastructure, it pays to be prepared.

Anyway, let's get to this week's article links! It was a pretty good week, with some interesting news items and the publication of two long-in-the-works features. I'll start, as I usually do, with this week's two Extinction Countdown articles for Scientific American:

Was Palm Oil to Blame for the Poisoning of 14 Pygmy Elephants?

3 British Moths Extinct; Most Other Species in Decline


Next up, my latest technology careers article for IEEE-USA's Today's Engineer. I really enjoyed working on this one and interviewed some incredibly cool folks:

Software Engineering Careers Continue to Boom


Sticking with technology, here's another feature for another IEEE publication, The Institute, about inspirational museums:

IEEE Launches Exhibits Program for Science Museums


And finally, here are this week's eco/tech news items for Mother Nature Network:

Fracking waste: Is it safe to ship by barge?

Poll reveals more Americans believe in climate change

Earthworms may play a role in climate change

Copper computer keyboards could reduce hospital infections


In other news, I have happily joined founding editors Rod Heather and Sean O'Leary as the third editor on Lore, a twice-annual anthology of "weird fiction." It's going to be a blast.

That's it for this time around. I've got about a dozen more features on my plate right now, and lots of other new stuff pending. Follow me on Twitter for links as they happen or come back here next Monday for another link list!

No comments: