Monday, May 27, 2013

Amphibians in crisis, a gene that itches, and a whole lot more

If it's Monday it must be time for a look back at my articles from the previous week -- even if it's Memorial Day. What can I say, freelancers don't always get to take holidays off.

I'll start this week's list with my Extinction Countdown articles for Scientific American, where amphibians found themselves on the bad side of the news:

Frog-Killing Chytrid Fungus Hits Rarely Seen, Wormlike Amphibians

Amphibians in U.S. Declining at “Alarming and Rapid Rate” (this was also reprinted at Salon)

A Monkey with Human Eyes and Other Links from the Brink


Next up, a big batch of articles for Mother Nature Network, including some pretty cool science:

Why we itch: Blame a gene called Nppb

Student filmmakers produce powerful documentary about sea turtle conservation

Fire ants inspire ideas for life-saving search-and-rescue robots

Mystery cause of Irish potato famine finally solved

Oman invests in solar energy -- to extract oil


Outside of the published articles I have also been deep, deep, deep into my next articles for Conservation magazine, Today's Engineer and The Institute, as well as several more articles for SciAm and MNN, plus a big batch of ten articles for another client and a two corporate newsletter gigs. PLUS, this week I got a call out of the blue that ended up being my first magazine cover assignment. So there's that.

Yeah -- busy, busy, busy!

Anyway, even if this is a four-day week, there will still be plenty of new articles. Follow me on Twitter for the latest links as they happen. And I'll see you here next week!

No comments: