Monday, March 17, 2014

Missing species, biometrics and robot fish

A few years ago I heard what I thought was a great piece of advice: Don't cross things off your to-do list. Instead, highlight them. A list full of crossed-off items feels angry and messy. A list of highlighted lines, on the other hand, glows with the satisfying feeling of a job well done.

I did a lot of work this week. And it feels good.

And so, here are this week's article links. I'll start with three Extinction Countdown articles for Scientific American:

Roosevelt’s Barking Deer, Unseen for 85 Years, Photographed in Vietnam

Tea and Consequences: Unsustainable Cultivation Puts Honeybush Tea at Risk

Sunday Species Snapshot: Panamanian Golden Frog


This week also brought my latest technology careers article for Today's Engineer...

Career Focus: Biometrics


...and my second article for TakePart:

What's Worse Than Shooting Fish in a Barrel? Hunting Lions the Same Way


To round things off, here are a few newsy items for Mother Nature Network:

Soft robotic fish makes a big splash

Why can't we find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370?


I have a few articles already pending for this week, and lots more to write on my to-do list. I look forward to pulling out the yellow highlighter as they make their way toward publication.

No comments: