Monday, March 31, 2014

Stunning snails and kangaroo flatulence

I write about the weirdest and most awesome stuff. There's never a dull day when you're a freelance journalist!

Let's start this week's link list with my "Extinction Countdown" articles for Scientific American, the first of which went viral and got 30 or 40 times my regular number of readers:

Microjewels: Stunningly Beautiful Snails Going Extinct As Soon As They Are Discovered

$10-Million Action Plan Aims to Save World’s Most Endangered Gorilla


Next up, my latest piece for TakePart:

Killer Zoo Strikes Again: Weeks After Killing a Giraffe, Copenhagen Zoo Euthanizes Four Healthy Lions


And finally, a whole bunch of news items for Mother Nature Network, including more than one weird science story:

Why kangaroos emit less methane when they ... um ... you know, pass gas

Report finds unbelievable waste in 9 major fisheries

What can we learn from the giant volcano under Yellowstone National Park?

This giant, prehistoric shrimp had bizarre feeding filters built into its face


That's it for this week. I wonder what weird wonders shall cross my keyboard in the week to come?

No comments: