Monday, April 29, 2013

A week of pain and good writing

I'm going to go right out and say it: ouch.

I had big writing plans for last week, but I smashed up my left hand while trying to fix something I should have asked my landlord to do. Silly me. As a result of that error in judgement, I could barely touch the keyboard all week. The pain has mostly faded now, for which I'm grateful, but I'm going to be feeling this for weeks, especially on my left pointer finger, which is sure to lose the nail in the next few days. I wonder what it's going to feel like to type without a nail? I'm sure it won't be too pleasant.

Anyway, I had several articles well underway before this happened, and pecked my way through a couple of others, but this ended up being a fare less productive week than usual. Still, the articles that I did publish were excellent and did really well with readers. And on the bright side, I'm feeling like I almost had something approaching a week off, so I'm fully energized on this Monday morning.

Well, enough about my poor hand. On to the articles! Most were for my Extinction Countdown blog over at Scientific American:

When Did the Barbary Lion Really Go Extinct? [I worked on this one off and on for more than six months. I think it's one of my best articles of the year so far.]

Hunter Allowed to Import Rhino Trophy into U.S. for First Time in 33 Years [This generated a lot of discussion around the web. It was also reprinted by the Huffington Post, where it got a lot of comments.]

Satellite Reveals Possible Habitats for Rare Apes in China and Vietnam

Slaughtered Rhinos, Vanishing Cheetahs, the Lonely Dodo and Other Links from the Brink


My only other article this week was for Mother Nature Network, where I've been covering this particular story for more than two years. I'm glad to have been able to write about this last chapter in the saga of the Toomer's Corner trees:

Poisoned Toomer's Corner oaks cut down after final celebration


That's it for this week. Follow me on Twitter for links to this week's articles as they go live -- there's sure to be more of them than there were this week -- unless I do something stupid again, of course...

No comments: