Monday, April 1, 2013

Feral cats, awful allergies and local economies

Last week was slightly less productive than usual, as a weird little stomach bug took me down for most of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Luckily for both me and my readers I had been writing like a storm before that, so I had a bunch of articles already lined up for publication.

We'll start the link list, as I usually do, with my Extinction Countdown articles for Scientific American:

3,000 Feral Cats Killed to Protect Rare Australian Bilbies

'Extinct' Indian Gecko Rediscovered After 135 Years

Links from the Brink (this week's edition included news about manatees, rhinos, turtles and all kinds of other cool creatures, including the slender loris whose photo accompanies this blog post)


Next up, my latest feature for Mother Nature Network:

'Local Dollars, Local Sense' author preached sustainability before it was cool


And now, a bunch more news items for MNN:

Pollen counts -- and allergies -- expected to double by 2040 (this was also reprinted by the Huffington Post)

Bill Gates wants your help to design the condom of the future

From fat to fuel: Genetically modified bacteria could convert waste into energy

Science Olympiad: Where the smart kids strut their stuff 


This coming week should bring more like that stuff, and maybe some of the articles I have pending publication in a few other magazines. Follow me on Twitter for the latest links as they happen. (Just don't get too close, I'd hate to give you that stomach bug!)

No comments: