Monday, April 23, 2012

Dirty birds, dog-fighting controversy and publishing historians

What a wild and wacky mix of stories came out of my fingertips this week. I swear, that's the most enjoyable part of being a freelance writer: even when you work a certain beat, you really never know what stories are coming down the pike.

Let's start this week's compendium, as I usually do, with my two Extinction Countdown stories for Scientific American. I'm really happy with both of these articles, and I'll have some more interesting EC-related news to let you know about soon.

"I'm a dirty bird."
Geese May Be Helping to Spread Frog-Killing Chytrid Fungus

Threatened Philippine Hawk-Eagle Bred in Captivity for First Time


Mother Nature Network kept me busy this week, including two stories on a PR nightmare for a certain beer company:

Heineken denounces dog-fighting photo

Update: Heineken severs relationship with club that hosted illegal dog fight

Deadly citrus blight arrives in California

Most Americans now link extreme weather to climate change


Here are a few "going green" blog posts for Green Hands USA:

Damariscotta River Association Offers Classes Plus Conservation

ESL Teachers: Get Free Eco-Themed Lesson Plans

Save Plastic, Try Reusable Produce Bags


And finally this week, here's my latest feature for IEEE's The Institute newspaper:

IEEE History Center Is Busy Publishing

Make sure to stalk me on Tweeter for the links to my latest articles live and as they happen!

No comments: